SLIDER

Sunday Lately: Week 4 - 2019


Sunday Lately is a weekly linkup hosted by the Blogger Tribe!  We e-hangout every Sunday, sharing a small glimpse into the past week of life in our own worlds. All the posts for this week can be found on Katy's blog
 
Sharing. This week I have been sharing new blog thoughts with another blogger colleague of mine. What they are then, I will share with you also next week! So keep tuned!

Thinking. A lot of my valuable sewing time goes to thinking what I should do, what I actually can do, and what kind of material I have to be able to make what I want. Yesterday I found myself trying to figure out how to sew a zipper on a dress that has been waiting to be finished since last spring. I have never sewn a zipper before - I have always skipped patterns that have zippers but now I realized I needed to learn to do that in order to become a better sewer. I had to think really hard because three-dimensional perception has never been my strength (which is one of the reasons I have tried to develop that skill by taking up sewing as a hobby).

Redoing. See above. I still don't know if I will have to redo the zipper. I will try to finish the dress today so we'll see...

I have also had to unravel a few knitted items because I wasn't satisfied with them. I am thinking of redoing them in one way or another, at least using up the yarn in another item.

What about you, what have you been sharing, thinking or redoing lately?

8 kommenttia

  1. I have been thinking how much sewing has changed during the years because of the fabrics. Earlier you had to use zippers. I am sewing a dress for a girl in cotton fabric and it means redoing but also it gives a good feeling of my skills

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. That is true. Nowadays most people tend to sew from elastic fabrics. That's when you don't really need zippers. Good for people like me... But I prefer cotton as a dress material, so hopefully I will now learn how to sew that zipper so that I would be able to make more dresses for myself!

      Poista
  2. I'm still avoiding zippers also! I just ordered a bunch at a cheap price so I can practice installing them on scraps of fabric!

    VastaaPoista
  3. I used to avoid zippers too, and then I made a few pairs of jeans and well, they were sort of necessary! I just did something crazy and ordered a huge box of zippers from a company's moving sale, so I'll be getting all the practice I could ever want! ;)

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Maybe I should do that, too! I finally managed to sew the zipper, to my huge amazement! I am so proud of myself now... :)

      Poista
  4. I found the easiest way to do a zipper lately. On a Burda bag pattern, it has you press back the seam allowances where the zip will go, abut the zipper teeth to the fold, and simply topstitch the zipper in place. I can't believe it worked! And that way, you sew the zipper from the top and you never have to figure it out three-dimensionally. Of course, this doesn't work for everything, but I loved it!

    VastaaPoista

© CRAFT CANDIDATE • Theme by Maira G.